How To Survive The First Few Weeks of University
September is finally here, which means that the first term of university is on the horizon! Whether you’re returning to Liverpool for your second, third or fourth year of university, or are heading to the city as a fresher, we have a few tips that may help you survive your first few weeks back at uni.
- Get yourself settled quickly. It might not feel like home right away but if you have all your bits and pieces around you, it’ll be a lot nicer than living out of a suitcase for the first few weeks!
- Try your best to make friends and socialise. Although it’s unlikely that the first people you meet at university will go on to become your best friends, you’ll feel a lot happier if you’ve got a good relationship with your housemates and a few people on your course.
- Embrace all available opportunities. That doesn’t mean you have to say yes to going out and getting drunk every night, but if you go to events to do with your course or some societies and clubs, you’ll feel a lot more included.
- Explore! If you have only spent a short space of time in Liverpool, or are just returning after the summer months, you’ll find the city has tons to offer. There’s always new restaurants, bars, clubs and shops popping up so now is the best time to get your bearings.
- Make a budget and stick to it. It can be tempting to spend all of your money in the first few weeks but you’ll need to plan your spends carefully – especially as winter isn’t that far away!
- Prepare as much as you can for your course. If you do your reading now, you’ll have more time to absorb everything else that gets thrown at you later.
- Get ready for freshers week. It can be a hard slog if you’re planning on going out as much as possible – find our tips for making the most of it here.
- Most importantly, look after yourself! Eat well, stay safe and make sure you’re going to enjoy this year of uni as much as possible!